Setting up Moving Averages in MetaTrader 4
This lesson assumes that you understand your financial goals and are familiar with all the risks and opportunities online trading provides. You can schedule a free call with our expert trader that will help you find the best way to achieve your financial goals.
This guide shows you how to set up a moving average (MA) in MetaTrader 4.
After reading this tutorial, you should be able to:
- Add a moving average and set the parameters of this indicator
- Change the parameters
- Remove a moving average
Add a moving average and set the parameters of this indicator
- Click Insert and move your mouse over Indicators and Trend
- Click Moving Average
Setting the common parameters
After you have completed the step above, the settings menu appears.
Most indicators can be controlled by several common parameters.
There are two types of parameters:
- Calculations of the indicator: e.g. the amount of periods used for the moving average (you do not need to worry too much about this in the beginning)
- Visuals of an indicator: e.g. how it will look, the colour and thickness of the lines, etc.
Changing parameters at a later time
To change the settings of the indicator directly on the chart at a later date:
- Right-click the MA (you will have to be exact on the line of the indicator to get the menu seen below)
- Choose MA(14) Properties - The (14) is the respective parameter (Periods) and can differ, depending on your choice when setting the parameters
The parameter menu appears again where you can change the indicator.
Deleting an indicator
To delete a moving average:
- Right-click the indicator that you want to delete (you will have to be exact on the line of the indicator to get the menu shown below)
- Click Delete Indicator
The moving average disappeared from your chart.