Setting up the Average Directional Movement Index (ADX) in MT4
This tutorial shows you how to set up the ADX in MetaTrader 4.
After reading this MetaTrader 4 tutorial, you should be able to:
- Add the ADX and set the parameters of this indicator
- Change the parameters
- Remove the ADX
Add the ADX and set the parameters of this indicator
- Click Insert and move your mouse over Indicators and Trend
- Click Average Directional Movement Index
Setting the common parameters
After you have completed the step above, the settings menu appears.
Most indicators can be controlled by several common parameters.
There are two types of parameters:
- Calculations of the indicator: e.g. the amount of periods used for the ADX (you do not need to worry too much about this in the beginning)
- Visuals of an indicator: e.g. how it will look, the colour and thickness of the lines, etc.
Changing parameters at a later time
To change the settings of the indicator directly on the chart at a later date:
- Right-click the ADX (you will have to be exact on the line of the indicator to get the menu seen below)
- Choose ADX (14) Properties. – The (14) is the respective parameter (Periods) and can differ, depending on your choice when setting the parameters
The parameter menu appears again where you can change the indicator.
Deleting an indicator
To delete the ADX:
- Right-click the indicator that you want to delete (you will have to be exact on the line of the indicator to get the menu shown below)
- Click Delete Indicator
The ADX disappears from your chart.